Electronic Data Interchange, or EDI, is the computer-to-computer exchange of business documents in a standardized format. EDI eliminates the need to print and mail paper business documents. The EDI Help Desk provides support for Medicare providers submitting claims electronically for processing by Cahaba GBA.
How do I get started?
Download and print the Electronic Billing with Cahaba GBA booklet. This booklet will guide you through your options for connectivity, transmission and through the EDI enrollment process necessary to establish the security needed for connectivity.
Benefits of EDI
There are advantages to providers who conduct business with Medicare electronically. Some of those benefits include:
- Front-end edit reports confirm the receipt of our electronic file
- Faster payment when claims are submitted electronically (14 days)
- Conducting business electronically is easy
- Free software is available for providers to use
- Support is provided by Cahaba GBA EDI Help Desk (866-582-3253)
- EDI editing eliminates many claim errors that delay payment
- Online correction of Medicare Part A claims is available
- Save time and money eliminating postage
- Elimination of paper documents saves space and storage cost
Who should use EDI?
Effective October 16, 2003, providers are required by law to submit their claims electronically to Medicare, with minimal exceptions. However, all providers, with small or large claims volumes, can successfully submit claims electronically. Additional information regarding this requirement can be found on the CMS Website.